Sociology, Anthropology and Criminal Justice tools by TYPE of Information
Facts & Definitions
Check out Facts/Definitions page!
The latest news on criminal justice topics can be found using various tools on our News Resources page.
Health and Psychosocial Instruments. Reviews of tests.
Data can be found using the resources found on our Statistics and our Handling Information and Data pages.
SimplyAnalytics (was SimplyMap) contains United States census data, business data, and business points that can be manipulated and mapped. You can rank locations based on variables, create demographic analyses, and map variables to the county or sometimes the census Block. If you sign in as a guest, you won’t need to create an account. Accounts are needed only to save search parameters and data results. (Information and help video page.)
Human Relations Area Files (eHRAF)—Cultural Information for Education and Research
Learn more about cultures with eHRAF World Cultures! eHRAF contains a wealth of ethnographic information for your anthropology needs, ranging from ethnographies to culture summaries with information on customs, economies, histories and cultural relations, family and kinship, sociopolitical organizations, and religions, among other topics. Curious about what's covered, or how it works? Check out this video from eHRAF!
Want a quick breakdown of searching in eHRAF? These videos break down the search process:
RESEARCH REPORTS and EXPERT OPINION (journals)
Looking for peer-reviewed articles and research reports? Check these databases!
- Academic Search Complete. Multidisciplinary database of full-text articles from scholarly journals, magazines, government documents and other sources. Best for basic coverage of topics.
- Central Index. Broad coverage of interdisciplinary journals and other material.
- Scopus. Discover citations (with some full text) of articles from many additional science, medicine, technology, and social sciences journals. Includes tracking by citation, and identifying high impact articles
- NCJRS Abstracts Database contains more than 220,000 collection records for criminal justice, juvenile justice, and substance abuse resources housed in the NCJRS Virtual Library collection. This includes more than 60,000 online resources and all known Office of Justice Programs works.
- govinfo. United States government documents, including congressional reports, hearings, debates, records, judiciary materials, and documents issued by executive departments.
- PsycINFO. Articles and books in psychology and related fields. NOTE: replaced by the Central Index database.
- Google Scholar provides free searching of keywords and authors across a wide a selection of academic journals.
- SocINDEX see our alternative search tools.
RESEARCH REPORTS and EXPERT OPINION (books)
Expert opinions can be found in books: see our local book catalog for searching. You may want to expand your search to the I-Share state-wide catalog (using the drop-down option under the search box) or our electronic book page.
MULTIMEDIA (images, videoes, etc):
Online Material & Professional Organizations