JOURNAL ARTICLES - research reports and expert opinions
- Central Index. Interdisciplinary coverage of journals, books, and other materials.
- America: History and Life. Articles and book reviews on United States and Canadian history. NOTE: replaced by the Central Index database.
- ATLA Religion Database with ATLASerials. Journal articles, book reviews and essays on religious concerns. NOTE: replaced by the Central Index database.
- Business Source Complete. Articles, conference proceedings, case studies, investment-research reports, industry reports, market-research reports, country reports, company profiles and SWOT analyses.
- Nexis Uni. Business and legal coverage. Journal articles, newspapers (including the New York Times since 2002), wire services, broadcast transcripts, United States federal and state case law.
- Modern Language Association International Bibliography. Articles, books,and more on modern languages, literatures, folklore and linguistics. NOTE: to be replaced by the Central Index database.
- PsycINFO. Articles and books in psychology and related fields. NOTE: replaced by the Central Index database.
- Scopus. BROAD INTERDISCIPLINARY coverage. Articles in science, medicine, technology, and the social sciences.
- SocINDEX alternative tools. Articles from journals, books and conference papers in sociology and criminal justice.
African American History Serials covers material from the African American community from the 1830s through the mid-1900s and includes everything from social organizations and school registers to church documents.
Expert opinions can be found in books: see our local book catalog for searching. You may want to expand your search to the I-Share state-wide catalog (using the drop-down option below the search box) or our electronic book page.
- African American Music Reference. Essays and images on African American music - blues and jazz, reggae and ragtime, opera and hip-hop.
- American Song. Songs by and about children, cowboys, immigrants, Native Americans, pioneers, slaves, politics and civil rights, and war and peace.
- Garland Encyclopedia of World Music Online. Musical genres according to heritage, traditions, and themes.
You can locate reliable facts, summaries of topics from dictionaries and encyclopedias, and background information about topics using resources such as CREDO on our Facts/Definitions page.
SimplyAnalytics (was SimplyMap) contains United States census data, business data, and business points that can be manipulated and mapped. You can rank locations based on variables, create demographic analyses, and map variables to the county or sometimes the census Block. If you sign in as a guest, you won’t need to create an account. Accounts are needed only to save search parameters and data results. (Information and help video page.)
Subject-Specific Portals (for non-published information, teaching tools, equipment, and software):
SocioWeb:A Guide to Sociology and Sociological Research Covers education, employment, theorists, listservs, and other catagories of interest to sociologists.
SocioSite: Social Science Information System Links to relevant information and resources for sociologists and other social scientists.
H-Net: Humanities & Social Sciences Online Contains lists and web sites for peer reviewed essays, multimedia materials, and discussion for colleagues and the interested public.
The Society Pages - an open-access social science project headquartered in the Department of Sociology at the University of Minnesota and supported by individual donors.
UMBRA - brings together more than 500,000 digitized materials from over 1,000 libraries and archives across the country.