Sociology, Anthropology and Criminal Justice tools by TYPE of Information
FACTS and Definitions may be discovered using electronic dictionaries and encyclopedias on our Facts/Definitions page.
NEWS: The latest news on criminal justice topics can be found using various tools on our News Resources page.
TESTING: Health and Psychosocial Instruments. Reviews of tests.
DATA: Data can be found using the resources found on our Statistics and our Handling Information and Data pages.
In addition, SimplyAnalytics (was SimplyMap) contains United States census data, business data, and business points that can be manipulated and mapped. You can rank locations based on variables, create demographic analyses, and map variables to the county or sometimes the census Block. If you sign in as a guest, you won’t need to create an account. Accounts are needed only to save search parameters and data results. (Information and help video page.)
CULTURAL DESCRIPTIONS: HRAF World Cultures Access is via the Outline of Cultural Materials (OCM), a vast thesaurus of subject terms and descriptions. Comprehensive summaries in Browse Cultures include topics such as: Economy, History and Cultural Relations, Family and Kinship, Sociopolitical organization, and Religion. Cultures Covered lists the all the cultures, ethnic groups and indigenous people currently included in eHRAF. For more help, check these videos:
RESEARCH REPORTS and EXPERT OPINION (journals)
Identify articles in JOURNALS using the following tools:
- Academic Search Complete. Multidisciplinary database of full-text articles from scholarly journals, magazines, government documents and other sources. Best for basic coverage of topics.
- Scopus. Discover citations (with some full text) of articles from many additional science, medicine, technology, and social sciences journals. Includes tracking by citation, and identifying high impact articles.
- NCJRS Abstracts Database contains more than 220,000 collection records for criminal justice, juvenile justice, and substance abuse resources housed in the NCJRS Virtual Library collection. This includes more than 60,000 online resources and all known Office of Justice Programs works.
- govinfo. United States government documents, including congressional reports, hearings, debates, records, judiciary materials, and documents issued by executive departments.
- PsycINFO. Articles and books in psychology and related fields.
- Google Scholar provides free searching of keywords and authors across a wide a selection of academic journals.
- SocINDEX see our alternative search tools.
RESEARCH REPORTS and EXPERT OPINION (books)
Expert opinions can be found in books: see our local book catalog for searching. You may want to expand your search to the I-Share state-wide catalog (using the drop-down option on the top right) or our electronic book page.
MULTIMEDIA (images, videoes, etc):
WEB MATERIAL: Anthro, Sociology, and CJ web portals