This site contains an ever-growing collection of materials relating to our SXU history.
The materials we are adding include official publications of the University, documents created by the University, images of the University, and materials discussing the history of the University.
SXU Thesis Collection
List of SXU theses in the library (sorted by date).
- Use the Topic facets on the right side of the screen to review these materials by subject.
- You can also view the theses sorted by author.
- Paper copies will be scanned upon request...expect a 48 hour turnaround time.
- Newer theses (since 2009) can be found in our Institutional Repository: see Education theses.
- Theology Symposium, John XXIII Institute: Ten of the world's foremost Catholic, Protestant and Orthodox theologians participated in a 4-day symposium sponsored by Saint Xavier College. Each of the theologians delivered an address on a different theological problem confronting Christianity today. The talks were original contributions to the field, with concentrations on the development of doctrine as a prerequisite to the solution of theological differences and units. Some of the topics included combating atheism, women as priests, and the concept of God in relation to man. This volume contains the roster of attendees, biographies of the speakers, and news clippings of the event. The presentations are published as a separate volume: The Word in History; the St. Xavier Symposium, edited by T. Patrick Burke. New York, Sheed and Ward . BT80 .B8 1966 Special Collections (Non-Circulating)
MERCY & SPIRITUAL MATERIALS:
Mercy Mission page -- a library page containing:
- pointers to information resources about The Sisters of Mercy, our SXU Mercy history, and
- student videos of our history used for orientations.
SXU History Photograph Collection (from the University Archives):
We are building a SXU History Photograph Collection of selected images from our Archives photograph collection.
Entry points will be:
- Important People (Sisters, Presidents, Faculty, Visitors)
- Important Places (historical buildings and sites)
- Important Events
- Themes over Time (i.e. Diversity, Fashion, Candid Shots, etc.)
SXU University Archives (Housed in the Library)
- The Library is the depository of University records from approximately 1900 through 1990.
- More recent materials are held in the administrative and academic units.
- The library maintains internal inventories of images and official university records, some of which may have restricted access due to privacy concerns.
- We have a few handwritten letters from Joseph Conrad, Rudyard Kipling, and Oscar Wilde. (Historical Manuscripts, Box 1, folders 5-15)
- Contact the library for information about these materials.